Dennis Haysbert on Preparing for Different Roles
Why did the director choose Dennis Haysbert for the role?
Dennis, you've played characters at both ends of the moral spectrum, Mr. Fish in LUV, but also the President in 24 How was preparing for such different roles similar or absolutely different? I prepare for a role the same way. I look a the Bible, which is the script, and in this case the bible writer was the director. So he chose me because he saw something in me that could play this role.And I took the role because of the challenge, and it was something that was outside of my comfort zone, which is what being an artist is all about, I believe.Challenging yourself? Yeah, I have to keep evolving. And somewhere or somehow Fish will come out in something else I will do. Whether he's the good guy or the bad guy or the perceived bad guy.To certain people in society and where Fish comes from…he's the good guy. He was probably at the church handing out turkeys on Thanksgiving Day. People receiving those turkeys think, oh Mr. Fish is down, he's alright. But you know, he was also cut throat.
- Appraisal: Jean Arnould Heyermans Oil, ca. 1880
- Appraisal: French Bru Doll, ca. 1895
- Appraisal: 1919 Rockwell "The Little Model" Oil Painting
- Appraisal: Jessie Willcox Smith Oil Painting with...
- September 4, 2013 - "Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity"
- ANTIQUES ROADSHOW - Appraisal: 1909 Charles R. Knight Oil