Hi I’m Geologist John Swanson for About.com and today I’ll be talking about mineral habits.In different geologic settings, minerals may take distinctive forms. These forms are known as habits. A mineral’s identity is often tied to the environment in which it formed. But what does that mean?Well, if a mineral is round like a basketball, you know right away they aren’t tourmaline. That’s because tourmaline is never round.Now, these five habits aren’t the only ones out there, in actuality there are dozens. Also, not each crystal forms a habit. Depending on the environment and mineral involved, it can sometimes take many crystals to form one habit shape.Though environmental forces do play a role in the habit a mineral displays, minerals usually will never defy their type and take on a completely distinct shape or form. Minerals stay within fairly predictable parameters.Hopefully you now have a better understanding of the habits of minerals. Thanks for watching. If you’d like to learn more, please find us on the web at about.com.
- The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
- Peter Pan Diamond Edition - Captain Hook and Tic Tock Croc Clip
- Craig Ferguson & Big Bang Cast (HILARIOUS)
- Barney Never Takes a Bad Picture
- First Look: Jennifer Hudson on Being a "Big Girl" - Oprah's Next Chapter
- Exclusive: Why Usher Signed Justin Bieber - Oprah's Next Chapter