What Are Mineral Habits?
Minerals stay within fairly
Hi I’m Geologist John Swanson for About.com and today I’ll be talking about mineral habits.In different geologic settings, minerals may take distinctive forms. These forms are known as habits. A mineral’s identity is often tied to the environment in which it formed. But what does that mean?Well, if a mineral is round like a basketball, you know right away they aren’t tourmaline. That’s because tourmaline is never round.Now, these five habits aren’t the only ones out there, in actuality there are dozens. Also, not each crystal forms a habit. Depending on the environment and mineral involved, it can sometimes take many crystals to form one habit shape.Though environmental forces do play a role in the habit a mineral displays, minerals usually will never defy their type and take on a completely distinct shape or form. Minerals stay within fairly predictable parameters.Hopefully you now have a better understanding of the habits of minerals. Thanks for watching. If you’d like to learn more, please find us on the web at about.com.
- Appraisal: French Bru Doll, ca. 1895
- Appraisal: 1919 Rockwell "The Little Model" Oil Painting
- Appraisal: Jessie Willcox Smith Oil Painting with...
- September 4, 2013 - "Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity"
- ANTIQUES ROADSHOW - Appraisal: 1909 Charles R. Knight Oil
- Appraisal: Chinese Enameled Porcelain Bowl, ca. 1920