Profile of Downton Abbey
In the show, "Downtown Abbey", what did the first season begin with?
Hi, I'm Lauren Zima with About.com and today we're looking at hit series Downton Abbey.The British-American show is a period drama. It began airing in the UK in 2010, and in the US on PBS in 2011. It's set on the fictional English estate Downton Abbey, and follows the lives of the Crawley family and their servants.The show's first season began with the sinking of the Titanic and the death of two heirs; Lord Grantham's heir and his son, Patrick. This throws the family's future plans for the estate in disarray. Drama also unfolds for the servants. A new valet has arrived, John Bates, but he has a mysterious past. The servants also engage in power struggles and gossip, and others have secrets, too.Season two also showcases true historical events of the time; it's 1916 and the Great War has changed everything, including Downton Abbey itself. The men are at the war front, and home the family and servants adjust, though some don't adjust well. Scheming and meddling continue.The show has welcomed its share of famous faces, including acclaimed actresses Maggie Smith and Shirley MacLaine. It's won numerous Emmys and other awards, and has been widely critically acclaimed for its storylines, acting, costumes and more.That's been your overview of Downton Abbey. For more on TV, head to About.com.
- Barney Never Takes a Bad Picture
- First Look: Jennifer Hudson on Being a "Big Girl" - Oprah's Next Chapter
- Exclusive: Why Usher Signed Justin Bieber - Oprah's Next Chapter
- Exclusive: Usher's Song-Writing Inspiration - Oprah's Next Chapter
- Rihanna Takes Oprah on a Tour of Her Childhood Home - Oprah's
- Neil Patrick Harris Steals 38th Annual People Choice Awards